MMM idli Upma a perfect breakfast...looks interesting!!! isn't it?? Bored from regular idli chutney??? Then don’t worry..here is a nice way to use your leftover idlis....U can add veggies as per your choice.. To make this used:
6-7 left over idlis, cut in to pieces or crumbled (as per your choice how u want to eat)
1 small capsicum- thinly sliced
1 small carrot- thinly sliced/ thinly grated
1 medium size onion- finely chopped
5-6 curry leaves
Grated ginger- 1tsp
1tsp red chilli powder
2-3 dry red chillies
1 tblsp peanuts- optional
2 green chilli- chopped
Pinch of turmeric powder
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin & mustard seeds
1 tsp white skin less urad dal
Lemon juice- 1tblsp
Freshly Grated coconut- 1tbsp
chopped coriander leaves/ grated coconut for garnish
2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida, dry red chillies, add cumin/ mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add urad dal and let it turn red. Add curry leaves, peanuts. Add grated ginger, chopped onions & green chillies and sauté for a min. or two.
- Add sliced capsicum & carrots. Sauté for 2 mins.
- Then add turmeric pwd & red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add the crumbled idlis and combine. Adjust salt. Mix well. Sprinkle water & cover with a lid. let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add the lemon juice & little bit grated coconut. Mix well. Now switch off the flame. Garnish with freshly grated coconut & coriander leaves. (I sprinkled some idli podi to the upma before I dig in..)