Wednesday 3 August 2011

Chatu besara (mushroom gravy with mustard paste Orissa style)



Ingredients
Mushrooms 500gm ( clean the mushrooms  with clean water , squeeze & drain all the water  from mushrooms & cut in to pieces )
1 onion cut into slices
1 medium size tomato sliced
1 Dried mango slices ( ambula )
1 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp red chilly powder
2 tblsp mustard paste( grind  1tsp poppy seeds, 2 tsp mustard seeds  , 1 tsp Jeera  with 5 cloves of garlic & 1 green chilly )
1 tsp haldi powder
salt
2 tblsp Oil
Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Add the Mushrooms ,salt and turmeric powder & stir for 3-5 min til the mushroom cooks  turns to brownish colour.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and once it sputters add the Onions and fry for 2-3 minutes till they turns to golden brown colour. Add red chilly powder & haldi. Add tomatoes. Stir for 1 min. Then add the mustard paste and stir for 30 seconds & add 1 cup of  water to the masala. Let the curry cooks in a medium flame. When the curry starts boiling add the fried musrooms & ambula & Mix well. Cover the lid. When half of the water evapourates from the gravy & gravy will become little bit thick turn off the gas. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice/roti.

16 Feel free to share your comments:

Vardhini said...

Thanks for stopping by my space. This dish sounds different with the mustard paste. My son loves mushrooms .. bookmarked. Following you too.

I am having a giveaway in my blog. Do check it out when you get a chance.

Vardhini
Check out my 100th post giveaway

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Pranati
Great recipe and great reminder of old days. I will try soon. But I wish I could get some " Pala Chhatu ". I have eaten all varieties of Mushroom abroad, but tell you nothing to match the taste of Pala, tiny Bali and the NaDa chhatu of Athgarh..The other day my friend called me up from Athgarh to come soon to enjoy all the mushrooms...anyway .." Rahina sangsara bisama janjale....". Let me check if I have any ambula left or not. Then I will try with the button ones.
Bhala thiba

Pranati Nath said...

Thanx Vardhini for visiting my space....I 'll be happy if ur son likes it & congratulations for your 100th post....Really liked your way of sharing happyness wid others....

Pranati Nath said...

@ Ushnish I absolutely agree wid ur comments...The taste of pala chatu is Ultimate...& this is the season normally we get it in Orissa....I miss it alot...Bt "nahi mamu tharu kana mamu bhala"....

Reva said...

That is an awesome recipe...using mustard paste is new to me buts sounds delicious.. should try this very soon:)
Reva

Mugdha said...

nice one...i love this...:)

Pranati Nath said...

Thanks mugdha & Revathi..:)

Vatsala. said...

I've heard about the name of this dish. Recipe is new to me.
Thanks for visiting me. The link for Potluck party is up.

Invitation for a Potluck
Event - LGSS_Potato

Santosh Bangar said...

gr8 traditional dish inviting.
1st time here happy to follow do visit and follow if likes

Ruby said...

hi, Pranati, thanks for the recipe. thinking of making it this week.
regards Ruby

UV said...

how does one make the mustard paste in the grinder because it gets bitter when i try ?

Pranati Nath said...

hi UV . always i m using grinder for mustard paste..but luckly i hav nvr gt the bitter taste..

Unknown said...

I am also from Odisha and your blog rocks.

unnati said...

i love u r recipes,thank u
wedding sarees online | salwar kameez online | sarees online shopping | buy indian sarees online | saree manufacturers

Santosh kumar said...

Gud recipe...I love it

Santosh kumar said...

Gud recipe...I love it

Post a Comment