Tuesday 11 February 2014

Mushroom Broccoli Quiche ( My 1st attempt)








Now this has turned a fav. Recipe of mine for breakfast –dinner-lunch (U can have it any time). This is one of the recipes that can be made in thousand ways. 
Last summer we went to Acadia national park in US & there for lunch we went to one restaurant called Jordan Pond House. There we had broccoli quiche for the first time. As that day was Friday & we don’t eat non veg on that day so we ordered brown rice, broccoli quiche & steamed veggies. No doubt it was very tasty & flavorful. we just enjoyed it.  There I kept on my mind to make the recipe when I will reach home. But somehow I missed it may be due to my small baby gal behind whom I have to run day & nite..:P 
So few days before I  was browsing my google & found this recipe. Immediately the ring bell on my mind & I thought today is the time to give the surprise to hubby by making this quiche. I run to kitchen & open the fridge. I found broccoli & mushroom. So thought to try with these two ingredients.
After so many Google search finally find the recipe & tried it..but one important thing I didn’t hav pie pan. So I had to bake in my square pyrex bowl. 
But this one turned out wonderfully. My husband also  liked it very much. It keeps well in the fridge & reheats well. 




so friends here is the recipe.


Ingredients
Ingredients for pastry 
1 cup  maida/ all purpose flour 
100gm unsalted butter  (grated)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
pinch of salt
For the filling:
1 ½  cup chopped mushrooms 
1 cup broccoli florets
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Italian herbs 

To Make Quiche:

For the pastry:

In a bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder together.  Add the grated butter & mix it well with fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse  meal. Add the egg and bring the dough together. Add ice water in a slow ly if needed at this stage. Form dough in to a single ball. 

Transfer the dough to a floured surface. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface about 2" large all around than your pie pan. Its fine even if its not an even circle or whatever. Just make sure the thickness is more or less even all around. (I didn’t have the pie pan so I have to make the quiche in a square pyrex bowl)
Next step is to gently transfer this rolled out dough to a greased pie dish.  Now put it in the refrigerator.  In the mean while we will prepare the filling.
Pre-heat the oven to 350F / 180C.

To prepare the filling:

Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions until golden brown. Add the mushrooms nd broccoli florets and sautéon medium-high flame until soft & light golden brown. Adjust ground pepper and salt and mix well. Now switch off the flame & let it cool.
Now take small bowl. Break 2 and beat them. Add  milk to the eggs & again mix well. 

Now take out the prepared crust from the fridge. Lay the brocolli mushroom mixture evenly on it. 
And top off with the milk-egg mixture until it reaches almost up to the top of the crust. top off with  shredded cheddar cheese & some Italian herbs.

Bake until the top turns golden brown and patchy in parts and the crust turns golden - about 30 to mins. 

Now Enjoyyyyyyy hoootttt.




0 Feel free to share your comments:

Post a Comment